Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Many Days from Friday to Tuesday

Aloha everyone,

So sorry I have not been able to update for awhile I wrote a real nice summary in txt but cannot post for some reason so I hope you all have been reading teds blog you can link to teds blog from my page on the right hand side. So with that said I will try to catch up to date before we go to dinner.

Friday Christiansburg to Wytheville
We left this morning with traffic not too bad considering we are riding in a big town for us. Up and down started again but alot of good riding.

Saturday Wytheville to Troutdale
Had a great day for riding and lots of ups and downs. We stayed at the Baptist Church Hostel which was great. The applachian through hikers were staying too. They are going fromGeoriga to Maine by hiking this trail those guys are nuts. Jerry kitchen is where the grinds are. We had a wonderful dinner and breakfast. I think Ted is really starting like biscuits and gravy, I told him he could even get gravy on his dinner if he wants too. Rode past a young lady to day and I said hi and she responded with Howdy!

Sunday Troutdale to Damascus
We loaded up with our stuff and stopped on the way out of town for our breakfast of biscuits and gravy, eggs, potatoes, coffee. The hills were still pretty steep and just today we saw a couple who had the elevation profiles and Wow we did some climbing and my legs can tell. We got to Damascus early as planned so we ould get our laundry done and check out the town. It was a little rainy when we got in but not too bad. We stayed at the Methodist church Hostel which was pretty dirty.

Damascus to Council Not all Sunday drivers are alike.
Today the people were anxious for a Holiday Sunday. I had one guy yell at me and another lady got up along side of me and honked at me. I told Ted I was going to find her and give her a piece of my mind. I did see her in town but kept my mouth closed.
Today was good we rolled out pretty early in the morning and had biscuits and gravy you know the routine. The sky was looking a little rainy and we did get rain towards the end of the day. Man today was tough we had a constant 4 mile climb I called it to heaven. Wow we stopped halfway up for lunch. Then on again and then the rain started but not before we did some more ups and downs. We stopped in town and talked to a young. Sorry got side tracked a big lightening bolt just zapped outside the window. Wow...... Anyways this young man told us only 2 more hills to council man was I glad but he was mistaken not only was it raining and traffic like crazy cars and trucks zooming by we had more than 2 hills to go. I told Ted to please stop me from ever asking a local person how many more hills to the top. We got to the park and no one was around and the pool was closed so we found a nice picnic shelter located by the bathrooms and set up camp thinking someone would be by to take care of us but no one ever showed up. So we had a good nights sleep under the picnic shelter.

Council to Breaks Interstate Park Day 14
Got up and had oatmeal for breakfast as we were out in the middle of nowhere and thought there was a store about a mile up ahead. We had to climb to get out of the park, ugh as my legs were tired from yesterday. There was no store but we were good anyways. Further down we happened upon a gas station and got Bacon Cheeseburgers the kind you microwave and gatorade and for me a diet coke. All set we took off through really nice countryside and said good morning to the cows and sheep as we passed by. The day was going well we pulled into Haysi and found a subway sandwich shop so we picked up sandwiches and had a coke. Oh my leaving town was a surprise this was the steepest part so far I had to walk as I was not prepared for this section and the coal trucks were zooming by and really scary. We decided to get off our bikes when we hear them coming as they are so loud you can't mistake them. We continued on for a good 4 miles and decided to stop for lunch alongside the road we sat our butts right down on the dirt we did not care at this point we just needed a break. I told Ted I thought today was the first time on our trip that I actually thought I was going to throw up, it was the chugging of the coke when we got our sandwiches but I didn't. After lunch we continued our climb and saw a scenic rest stop ahead so we pulled over and some young guys on motorcyles engaged us in conversation and let us know to go out about 300 yards to the lookout we did and it was beautfiul. THEN the Rain started we heard the thunder boomers coming over our shoulders we waited out the rain for the most part and took off for our destination which was fairly close we pulled into Breaks Intersate Park paid the lady and continued uphill to the Lodge we are staying here inside and I am so happy about that because the sky poured rain. This area is considered the Grand Canyon of the East I wish someone would of told me that before we climbed for 8 miles. Not really I think it's better not to know it is stunning. Reminds me alot of Waimea canyon on kauai except more green.
We met another couple from Alaska who missed the rain but I now if they stayed here to camp they are wet now. Ok
Keep the Rubber Side down,
Lisa

No comments: