Thursday, May 21, 2009

Many days and pictures






Day 5 charlottesville Virginia Rest Day number 1
This morning we had to move out of our motel as it was full for the University off Virginia Graduation. We moved to the Alexander House across town it is a hostel run by Brad. It was perfect we shared a room with a couple one from Oregon and one from Hawaii how is that for ironic. Fabian got the single room because it was his birthday otherwise I would of pulled my cards by being the female. Ted and I went and cruised downtown area very nice. They had a really cool cat store but I could not buy anything. We went out to dinner at a place called Beer Run they had 300 plus kinds of beer I sampled a few they were good and had black bean nachos for dinner. Then we had to run to our hostel because the sky opened up into a huge thunderstorm. I do miss the thunder and lightening. Off to bed as we had a big day on Sunday. We also met a couple of ladies from Arizona Tricia and Sarah from Washington D.c. Tricia gave me a button for my bike and talked story for awhile. They are going to follow our blog.





Day 6 Charlottesville to Afton Virginia 35 miles.
We meandered through town Sunday morning a little rainy but not complaining. We had to go through the University of Virginia and through 450000 people trying to get to graduation. Wow it was crazy. We went to breakfast at the little diner we had dinner at before. I had another huge breakfast and we were ready to roll by about 10am. Leaving Charlottesville it was cold Ted and I were bundled up like little snow people. We had some nice climbs and soon we were sweating and wanting to remove all the clothes we had on but Ted said we should keep them on beacause the downhills will make us cold. BRRRR. We had a lunch stop at another famous gas station. We bought peanut butter and jelly and bread as there were not any other stops along the way and we were going to the cookie lady. There were some big hills going to the cookie lady the last one in particular was a 3 mile climb and here place was right about the 2 mile section. We pulled up the the cookie lady house and her cousin renee helped us and opened the door. Wow, I was almost in tears to actually be here standing in her living museum. We logged our names in the register and got ready for dinner. Cup of Noodles and sandwiches. The house was freezing cold but Ted was the only brave one to take a cold shower outside in the mountains. I could not do that so I went to bed dirty and cold underneath 4 blankets.


Day 7 Afton Virginia to 10 miles Outside Vesuvius 44 miles

The thermometer read 42 degrees this morning. Heated up some coffee on the stove top had a danish and went to meet June Curry the Cookie Lady. She was expecting us when we walked up she was feeding her Rooster and wild Black Cat. She is 88 years old and is truly a living legend so sweet. We talked story for a good hour. She told us how she became the cookie lady all the way up to today and what is going on. We had our picture taken and it will become part of the cookie lady legend. She has a helper recording everyone who has come through. We stalled long enough it was time to get moving up the rest of the hill. I was in the lowest possible gear and made it up very slowly but I made it. Yeah Yippee I am so happy. Fabian has been having trouble with his knee so we split at this point and he is on his way to Waynesboro to see a Dr. and decide what to do. Ted and I pushed on and entered the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stopped at the entrance and decided he would be Clark and I will be Lewis silly I know but who cares. The Parkway is stunning and all uphill we climbed just in the parkway 2810 Feet. We stopped at most of the overlooks to stretch and take in the scenery. We had to pack everything we needed for the next 30 miles as there are no services in the parkway. We stopped at the Visitor center and had peanut butter sandwiches. Pat and Virgnia caught up to us and had lunch on our rock. As we were leaving a really nice family stopped and asked what we were doing and wanted to take our picture. Off again to do some more climbing needing to take it slowly but not having to walk my bike that makes me smile. It was really cold up there we went up to 3200 feet at one point. The Mountains were incredible. A lot of motorycycle tourists came flying by us. We got off the Parkway about 5pm and had to go down the Mountain to Vesuvius. This is by far the steepest scariest thing I have ever done on a fully loaded bicycle. Wow 4 miles of adrenaline pumping excitement. We had to feather our brakes to keep them from blowing out our tires as the rims get so hot they burst the rubber. We stopped a couple of times. We pulled into Getites Store and got dinner which consisted of sandwiches and crackers with military cheese. Gertie let us sign the wall in the store because we were from hawaii. She gave us a postcard of the store and asked us to mail a card to her when we get home. The people out here are so kind. Each time we approach another small town I get out my pepper spray because it goes without saying some little or big dog is going to come after us. A lot of people do have the invisible fence around there yard which is good. The invisible fence worked really well when a HUGE Rottweiller came charging after me and he stopped on a dime at his designated fence underground. Thank goodness because I was thinking I don't have enough pepper spray for this guy. Most of the dogs see the can and retreat back to their yard as if to say oh ok you have that stuff never mind. We cruised to our Hostel at Mallard Duck and met up with Virginia and Pat and met another guy named James. We showered with Hot water “yes” and relaxed until 9pm and then we all had lights out. It was the end of the toughest day I think really ever for me. The ride out of Vesiuvius was very beautiful the river ran right along side of us and the railroad track was on the other side now thats's what I call riding.




Day 8 Mallard Duck to Troutville Virginia 54 miles

1.When we woke this morning Pat's thermometer read 34 degrees. It was really hard to get moving and so we stalled until almost 10am as the temp was almost 50 by then. We were bundled up. The river was next to us this morning and was so beautfiul we even saw a few guys out there fishing. We stopped at the gas station for breakfast and were outside eating when Chuck and Matt pulled in. They just met up to do this ride Matt is from Neatherlands and Chuck is from California. Matt is totally Gung Ho riding like 18 miles and hour so they agree on a spot to catch up with one another. We rode Through Lexington hoping to find a Macdonalds or Taco Bell but no luck so we continued on. The hills were not bad today and if I had to choose my favorite day so far this would be it. I really like riding next to the river. It did warm up and we removed our outer garmets and enjoyed the sunshine. We passed up going to see one of the Seven Wonders of the World at Natural Bridge beacause it is tooo touristy. We stopped at the gas station for more fuel and continued on through doing a little more climbing and getting a little turned around since Fabian is not with us it's up to Ted and I to figure out where we are going and since I don't have an odometer I have to ask Ted to track the mileage and it gets a little confusing but all is good. We came into Buchanon and I spotted the Burger King so we stopped and picked up our dinner for this evening. Then it was off to Troutville 14 miles away, the afternoon was warm and sunny doing a little more climbing sometimes I think all we do is travel uphill. My Legs are sore. We pulled into Troutville and found the park and Lee and Lynn flagged us in and showed us where to set up and we talked story with them for a while. They said Cecil would be by later to have us sign the guest book. We ate our dinner and then I went across the street to the fire station and had a hot shower. Cecil came by and we talked for a while and then I got to work at writing this journal we have been without internet but I can atleast type and then cut and paste. It is after 10pm so I must stop for now because I need my rest. Ok everyone thanks for reading and until next time Keep the Rubber side down,
2.Lisa

1 comment:

Brenna Uzcategui said...

Wow What an experience. How great you guys are meeting so many people from all around! That is always a great part about traveling this way! Hostels are great! Well I am sad that the weather is still so chilly in the morning. We too got lots of rain in the Dominican Rupublic but at least it was in the 80's during the day. Don't forget your yoga poses to stretch those thighs! Love reading about you two! Keep the spirits high!