Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On to Illinois State Number 3

Aloha Everyone,
We made 1000 miles a few days back so I think we are closer to 1200 now. I can't believe it! Really there were a few days when I thought about getting off my bike and not going forward so to all of you offering me your support MAHALO it really really helps keep me strong. We stopped at a gas station a few days ago and this old guy struck up conversation with us about why all the big trucks are here and what they are doing. The trucks were leaving this day been here since February a big storm knocked over all of these huge trees, we did wonder why everyone would trim those huge branches and now we know why. He did tell us Illinois is flat flat flat. I do need to talk to him about that everywhere we stop I talk to the locals and tell them I heard Southern Illinois is flat and they wan to know who told me that. It is not flat it's hard to capture this in pictures so I will do a verbal for you. Riding along and you come over this ridge and you look down and go ok maybe I can get going fast enough to carry myself over the next one. I get going being mindful that my bob trailer is only suppose to go 25 miles an hour I stand up on my pedals and grip my bar leaning a little forward gaining speed grinning, and then nothing. Nope too steep to carry me up so now sit down drop those gears down to little ring and grind it out. One day I decided to sing 100 bottles of beer on the wall which I don't recommend doing in a dry county cause all it does is make you thirsty. One hill I got to 48 bottles of beer on the wall I don't remember ever singing that song to 48. so I decided to sing one little two little three little indians you get the feeling yet. Good now do this all day long with occassional stops to pee in the bushes covered with ticks. But, I must say I am having the time of my life out here. All of the people we have met have been so nice it's almost hard to believe. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Utica Kentuky, Ted went in and the man said they were full and felt bad so offered for us to sleep in the living room for free. Great, then he remembered he had a little room in the back people just checked out but we could sleep in the other 2 beds in the room that weren't used and get fresh towels to bathe. Excellent and he only charged us $5.00 a piece. It was better than the Ritz. The next night we came into Eddyville this was a tough day and it was hot outside. There is a camp located 2 miles off route which makes 4 more miles to our already long day. As we are leaving the gas station I see a sign for a horse camp ask Ted if he wants to try this out and say yeah let's go. It wa so cool, People bring their horses on vacation and go to horse camp. Everyone pretty much knows everyone. The owners weren't in but another lady got us settled. She even brought me a cold beer whle I was putting up my tent. The tavern was about a mile away. Then as we were finishing up our camp another lady came over with 1,2, 3 bread and invited us to bullshit with them tonight. The bread is one can of beer, 2 cups of sugar and 3 cups of flour. Her husband made it on the grill. It was delicious so for all of you who like to experiment that's it the recipe above. Good Luck and call me when it's done. We really did not get a real dinner this night as a huge storm came in the most thunder and lightening I have seen in a long time. Luckily we were able to hide out inside this concrete building and wait out the storm finally at 11pm I could not stand it any longer I had to go to bed we ventured back to camp and had to cross a small river that appeared as a result of the rain. I felt really bad for all the horses I think they were scared they all got real quiet. The next day we were off to Carbondale where we are now and it was a good day, nice Pleasant Hills as I like to call them either that or I am finally in good enough shape to handle them without feeling like I am going to die. We are at the comfort Inn and next to the chinese restaurant. Today we are going to the bike shop to remove a couple pounds of coal dust and get adjustments made to our Iron Horses. The weather is not good. I do hope we start to see some sunnier days not thtat they are bad it's just we need to dry our tents. Does anyone know if you can wash your tent?
Until next time keep the rubber side down and a smile on your face.
Lisa

No comments: