Monday, June 15, 2009

June 15th Missouri and stuff

Aloha Everyone,
Wow, it's been a busy couple of days. Meeting up with my Mom and Dad in Farmington Missouri and then my sister. We are in the heart of Ozark country and it is so beautiful. When Ted and I made our first stop in Missouri I made sure we went to a campground I had stayed at 30 years ago it was a little different from what I remember but the river was the same. Crisp clean and cold. After setting up my tent I went down to the river and started by removing my shoes and just soaking my feet and looking at the beautiful rocks. But, this was not good enough so I put my shoes back on because I said I won't wear my new shoes until I can get to missouri and put my old shoes in the river. So I laced up my old shoes and fully dressed jumped right in and floated down river about 100 yards and walked back and did this 3 or 4 more times. It was so refreshing. A little girl was on the bank watching me and wondering what is that woman doing. It was fantastic. I think Ted thought I was a little cooky. Then it was time to shower and get ready for our dinner of cup o noodle soup and oreo cookies for dessert. I could not resist not making a fire so I put it all together and had one match and got the fire going. I sat and tended the fire for a good 3 hours until I was sleepy and full and fell asleep to the sound of the crickets chirping. This is the Life. Got up Sunday expecting big hills but they weren't too bad just a stedy uphill. Stopped in Centerville and met with my sister, got the laundry done, talked story went to dinner and then it was time for bed already. In the middle of the night a big storm rolled in I could hear the thunder and was just so happy to be sleeping inside. We got up to stormy skies and waited out the storm warnings and decided we should contnue west. Starting out was decent no sun but no rain either. The cars around here really don't give us too much room. I cuss most of them out and if they turn around they are going to get a blast of my pepper spray. The going today was quite a bit hillier with a few steep sections, I had to walk one section cause I looked in my mirror and all I could see was a truck coming at me. Shew I tell you, Man I wish they would move over. Then the rain started and I put on my first rain coat, then the sky just opened up and poured rain, I stopped had a drink under a tree and watched the lightening and put on my big rain coat and said a little mantra and continued west. With my bliky light going and the rain falling I really started to wonder why this is so much fun. Then I came around the corner and I saw flashing lights and thought Oh no I hope Ted is ok cause he is in front of me. I approached with caution asked what happened a truck run off the road oh ok, can I pass. I passed and had 3 miles to go. I met up with Ted and he asked if I saw the truck yes, I said. He tole me the story of what happened and I said oh that's why they all gave me stink eye. Apparently those crazy buses running paddlers to and from their canoeing expeditions went our around Ted and proceeded to run another truck off the road. Wow, scary. Ted did stop and the guy was ok so he went on. So I did not know this when I went by and could not figure out why they were all looking at me real mean and of course what did I say except Nice day for a bike ride huh? I'm just glad no one was hurt. Even the Sheriff would not speak a word to me he just noded his head. So we are here in Eminence Missouri waiting out the storm and hoping to do a little paddling tomorrow if the weather is better. So my friends thaks so much for all of your well wishes I really enjoying hearing from all of you. Until next time keep the rubber side down,

Love to yall.
Lisa

No comments: