Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eminence Missouri to Houston Missouri

Aloha Everyone,
Let's see we spent a couple of nights in Eminence Missouri hoping to do a float trip but the weather never cooperated with us to get on the river. Thats ok because I got to float in my own way. We had a good rest day, paying bills, catching up with rest. I sat and watched the rain for awhile and talked to another guy named Sam going East they are almost done. They are traveling with a sag wagon so they have someone picking out what they eat where they do their laundry and where they will sleep for the night all they do is ride 100 plus miles per day. I really enjoy our whole experience of finding food, shelter, and laundry when needed it's all part of the unknown adventure. It is really tough to totally rely on your own legs or bicycle to take you where you need to go infact tonight I am thinking about skipping dinner because I am too tired to find something to eat. I did my laundry in the bathtub. We are in a hotel tonight because the price is right. Today we left Eminence and headed 5 miles up up up to Alley Springs what a fabulous place the water is crystal clear and cold. It's an Old Grist Mill really neat area. The canoe buses and vans were passing us with tourists floating the river if it weren't for them our road would of been almost empty. Today I had to flip someone off because they were just too close for comfort. Just so you know I am not mad or anything just giving them my opinion. When we stopped for a beverage I had an old guy come and ask which way are you going I said West he said good. Why Oh my dogs are back aways I said are they black and brown yep thats them I said oh they did chase us. He says they are coyote killers I told him they were no harm and if they would of been bad they would get the pepper spray. The hummingbirds were out in force and they are so cute I watched them for a good ten minutes before moving on. After Alley Springs we had a huge hill to climb and my thoughts were focused on getting me over the Mountain. It was getting real Hot outside about 94 but feels like 101 with the humidity. I told Ted I have never had so much sweat coming from my body. Literally running out of every pore and running down my legs. We pulled up for lunch with 23 miles still to for the day, I had a sandwich and salad. The waitress brought us 2 pitchers of water so we could refill our water bottles before leaving. Leaving we werer greeted with much smaller hills I can't tell you how happy I was for this as my core temperature was runing hot and I was afraid my legs were going to give out. As another journal writer wrote These hills are demoralizing. But, coming into Houston Missouri we stopped at a coffee bar to get a cold drink, when going to pay you refused our money and said bikers get free drinks Wow, what a gift at this hour we were so thankful. I had an Iced Mocha Latte with Vanilla and Chocolate or something. MMMM Good. Ok, keep the rubber side down and I do think we are done with the Ozark Mountains.
Pictures to Follow,
Lisa

No comments: