Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Larned Kansas to Ness City

Kansas is the Sunflower State

All of these box cars are waiting to be loaded with wheat, guessing over a mile long.

The behind my back while riding shot of Ted

The Fort Larned

Aloha Everyone,
Today we pulled out of Larned this morning a little later than usual as we had 66 miles to go. I think we were afraid to leave afraid of the wind. We had a continental breakfast at the hotel. We took the scenic route out of town and Ted said he enjoyed that, good cause I did not realize until it was too late that we could of gone straight out of town instead of going back tracking atleast we got to see the prison. Then before you know it we are at the Old Fort Larned, the military stationed here were to protect the Santa Fe Trail from the Indians. The wind was not too bad. We got 30 miles down and pulled into Alexander in time for the lunch crowd at Effies place. I have never had so many french fries for one order before. When I went to pay for lunch the waitress got this look on her face and I thought I was going to get scoldings so I was thinking what have I done. She goes you know that lady who left with the pig tales, I said no I'm sorry I don't well she wanted to pay for your lunch but she only had $3.00 so she donated her $3.00 for your lunch, I was so humbled and I said where did she go and she said you will never meet her. So I had to be happy with never being able to thank her verbally, but I did let the waitress know how gracious complete strangers have been to us, it really is amazing. And told her if you know who she is please tell her thank you so much what a special gift. Upon leaving the restaurant we headed to the gas staion in hopes of gatorade but no such luck so we just got water and Ted noticed he had a flat tire on his bob trailer, so he changed out tube and tire we rolled on and the last 33 miles were pretty good, we did stop at a rest area and I did my usual soaking of myself only after walking in on a lady in the bathroom but her response was Oh honey that's ok. We made it to Ness City about 5pm showered gathered our dirty clothes, washed the laundry found the taco place for $4.50 all you can eat tacos and now I'm just chillin. We passed the 2000 miles mark yesterday I can't believe it.
So as the saying goes until next time keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride.
Lisa

2 comments:

seeker said...

Hi LIsa!

WOW! 2,000 miles! You go, girl!!! Weee! Several other people from work have been reading your blog and are just amazed! Sounds like you're holding up great. Can't believe you've been riding in this heat - at least we've had a reprieve here the past couple of days - low humidity and temps in the 60s at night. I've been busy preparing for my high school reunion on the 11th. Do you have any special plans for the 4th? Thinking about Independence Day, isn't it great that as women we are allowed so much freedom in our country? Imagine if you had to ride your bike in a berka(sp?) - (I know, you probably wouldn't be allowed to ride cross country if you were in a place where you had to wear a berka!) Just wanted to give you something else to think about while you're peddling away:).

Love you,
Maryann

Brenna Uzcategui said...

So 2000 miles huh? Are you half way done or half way there? There is a "pay it forward" thing going around. People from churches are trying to encourage others to buy coffee for the people behind them, or other small gifts to show act of kindness. Sounds like you are getting a lot of that. How nice! Keep pedaling hard! and smile the whole way through!
love ya, Brenna